Old April 17th 05, 05:21 PM
Michael Melland, W9WIS

Default Hustler 5BTV Radial Question...

I moved in December and was hoping to install a ground mounted Hustler 5BTV
vertical at my new place. I had hoped to lay down a good set of radials
under the vertical for better efficiency then the GAP Titan I had
previously.

In reading various sources it seems I need radials that are length coupled
to my lowest frequency of operation. Although I have 10 acres of land the
clear spot I was going to mount the Hustler in gives me only about 25 feet
in circumference for the radial bed. Fine for the higher bands but what
about 40 (31 ft) and 75/80 (62 ft)? For 40 meters I could just bend the
ends of the radials to fit and for 75/80 I know that I can zig-zag radials
to fit but can I cross lay them over the extended 40 meter radials ? Would
I be better off instead of cutting radials for the various bands to just lay
all 25 foot long radials ? Or.... should I junk this plan and just put up a
GAP with no radials ? I had hoped the Hustler might give better
performance.

Mike, W9WIS

Michael Melland, W9WIS
Redgranite, WI USA EN54lc