Old April 18th 05, 05:24 PM
Charlie

It is true that the other half of the vertical antenna is the ground effect.
This cannot be emphasized enough. I have 72 radials (about 1300ft of wire)
under my ground mounted 5-BTV and I too am very pleased with the results. I
also used the DX Engineering stainless steel radial plate and tilt over
mount. Many many photos of this installation at my web site listed below.
The spring grass growth has covered the radials (previously covered with
soil too) now and I am mowing right across them with no trouble.

My 5-BTV assembled easily and tuned right up (swr plots on web site too). It
is by no means an eyesore but instead is sleek and really quite attractive
as ours in is the front portion of our side yard. So far it has held up to
winds with no guys.

Check it out at the site listed below....

--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH

"John Franklin" wrote in message
ink.net...
The last verticle I had up was a 4BTV. I mounted it on top of a
chain link fence. I bonded the top rail to the mount pole and bonded the
link fence part as well. The top rail was at least 40 feet either side of
where the verticle was mounted. I got out like GANG BUSTERS! Usually
people who complain about verticles not radiating well are the ones who
don't work them against a good ground reference. 17 years as a broadcast
engineer put me onto good grounds....

73,
WB7FFI

"Michael Melland, W9WIS" wrote in message
I moved in December and was hoping to install a ground mounted Hustler
5BTV
vertical at my new place. I had hoped to lay down a good set of radials
under the vertical for better efficiency then the GAP Titan I had
previously.

Mike, W9WIS