Old April 18th 05, 08:17 PM
Bert Craig

wrote in message
oups.com...

'Way to go Bert! That's a tough one, there aren't a whole lot of HZs on
the air. "Back when" the only HZ on the air for years was HZ1HZ. He was
only on 40M CW and usually only in the major DX contests so he was a
real "catch". Problem with him was that he had about the worst bug
swing most of us have ever heard, absolutely indecipherable. Thank God
he wasn't a ragchewer. But that was OK because that swing was his
immediate "identifier" and ya knew who it had to be even if ya could
hardly copy him in the piles. I have no idea what their rules are today
but back then only members of the royal family were allowed to get on
the ham bands.

Serious HF dxers aren't serious unless they work both phone and CW, ya
have to do both or else yer shooting yerself in the foot.

Thanks Brian. I'm havin' gobs of fun and have broken out the K2/100 running
approx. 70 Watts. I'm about a third of the way through toward DXCC and need
an Asian contact for WAC.

I will heed your advice re. using both phone and CW. I do hop on 10 using
phone while commuting to and from work, but in the shack, well... ;-)

To be honest, I suppose I just find the CW itself fun. I'm also a big WW II
buff and was quite honored to work W5E over the weekend, who was operating
from a Boeing B-17 bomber. The op was using the vintage onboard gear. It's
humbling to think of the transmissions that have traveled through that gear.
Tnx agn es hpe c u ota. Take care es...

--
Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI