Old April 19th 05, 03:29 AM
running dogg

Li_Changchun wrote:

In the past I have always used any old headphones for SWL. They almost
always had a wide frequency response somewhere around 20-20KHz. Recently I
acquired a pair of closed ear Sony MDR-7502's ($50). They are smaller than
the typical hi-fi phones, lighter and very comfortable. They are well made
and not cheap like walkman type phones. Perfect for portables which is why
I bought them.

One thing I noticed that these phones have a narrower freq. response of
about 60-16KHz. I had always known that hi-fi phones were not necessary and
often fatiguing for SWL. Using these 7502's I now concur with that
assessment.

Knowing this I am now considering a pair of Kenwood HS-5's for the desktop
receiver which is even more narrow in freq. response of around 150-4KHz. I
was wondering if they are worth it for SWL? Does the 4KHz cut-off subtract
appreciably from the program listening experience? Are they designed mainly
for SSB/CW listening?

It took my ears a few weeks to get used to the 7502's slightly less "high's"
in the ear. But I find that now I have much less listeners fatigue without
the "hiss" in the background. Should I expect a similar experience with the
HS-5's?

I use Radio Shack mono headphones, made for scanner use, on my Yaesu and
am pleased with them. Hi fi headphones are designed for use on stereo
equipment which means that they will have inadequate response for SW.
Typical walkman headphones will be even worse. Go to your local Radio
Shack and ask for the scanner headphones, check to see that the pair is
mono, and they should work fine for SWL.