Old April 19th 05, 11:27 PM
Dee Flint

"cl" wrote in message
o.verio.net...

"cl" wrote in message
o.verio.net...
"Dee Flint" wrote in message

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
cl wrote:

which required code. 5 WPM is not impossible to learn. It only takes a
few minutes a day and about 2 weeks at least to get enough to pass a
test.

Took me 45 minutes a day for over 6 months, plus one failed test to get
to 5 wpm.

I'm all in favor of Morse code testing, but you guys have to show some
understanding that it isn't that easy for a lot of people.

I aced the writtens, without a whole lot of study by comparison to a
lot of people. I don't go around calling them retards or stupid.

- Mike KB3EIA -

I agree with you Mike. I hate it when I hear someone say "it only took
me a few days" as that raises unrealistic expectations on the part of
the students. It becomes very hard to convince them that they will
probably need more time than that and to keep them motivated to keep
working on it. The average person needs 30 hours of study (1/2 per EVERY
day for 60 days) to get there. Some will take longer such as yourself
but at least once they have put in the 30 hours, they will be able to
tell that they are making progress even if it takes longer for them.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

NOT EVERYONE - can learn code in a few days or whatever. There are some
things I can't learn in a month where others picked it up right away.
Different strokes for different folks. Each person has to take whatever
time as needed to learn whatever it is they're needing/desiring to learn.
Some fields don't allow a lot of time to learn, while others - such as
ham - do.
There is nothing saying that ANYONE has to learn code overnight or
they're a failure. Just because I was fortunate enough to get enough in -
in that 2 weeks - to pass the exam, doesn't make me a "CW" king. I use
code "rarely". But, I had a chance once to teach some youngsters the
code. One picked it up pretty quick, the others - were a bit slower. If
anyone wants/needs to learn the code to get a license, they will - in
whatever time it takes - IF they start on it and don't give up.
The last part is the key...... To get started and stick with it. As to
time, when they get all the characters down, then they'll have learned
the code. Be it 2 weeks or 2 years.

cl

Maybe someone would care to explain to me and to the rest of the world,
how Gordon West's mini camps held on a "weekend" - were designed to work
to get people ready to pass an exam by the end of the weekend. At least
that is the understanding "I" got from reading the ads. I can't recall if
some of those weekends were just for NO Code Tech OR if perhaps they also
may have been for "code" as well. IF SO, and someone never had code, then
how the hell did they do it in 3 days? Two weeks is a reasonable amount of
time - as it took me. Three days? I don't know...... Is it possible? Even
if it were just for the theory, most I know, can't learn all that in 3
days. You'd have live, eat, sleep, breathe and take the books to the can
with you. IF anyone took one of those weekends, speak up. IF maybe "I"
misunderstood the ad wordage, someone - anyone - feel free to correct me.

cl

It was for no code Tech and students were expected to have read the book
once through before attending the weekend seminar.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE