Old April 19th 05, 11:44 PM
Jim Hackett

My software came on a CD. There are several other software programs out
there, Talk PCR being my favorite, that are far superior to the Icom
software.
My PCR 1000 also came with the Bonito software. I, and many others, are of
the opinion that if you pay ANYTHING for the Bonito software, you paid too
much. It is a resource hog that crashes and hangs. The software DSP does
NOT function (for me). If you can afford an R-9000, you got no business
buying a PCR-1000. ;~). I also have a Yaesu VR-5000 tabletop wideband that
is my most used and loved radio. It is not for the faint of heart due to
it's horribly written and converted to "ENGRISH" manual. It also has a lot
of functions buried in sub-menus which take some getting used to. Whatever
you choose, good luck and remember to "NOT feed the trolls" that dwell
here...

"David" wrote in message
ups.com...
This old pipe smoker, at one time in his younger more adventurous years
in Vietnam and elsewhere, was among other things a military
communications intercept operator AKA DittyBopper. The old bug has
bitten me and I'm considering entering the SWL-DX hobby and I'd
appreciate some equipment recommendations from any of you kind
gentlemena nd ladies.

At present I am considering that ICOM PCP1000-02 PC driven semi
broadband receiver with the DSP module and the upgraged BONITO 5.2
software package. The following is the link to the ICOM page describing
this unit.

http://www.icomamerica.com/pro*ducts/receivers/pcr1000/

I am not sure if this system will be compatible with my XP home 3gig
plus hyper-thrading Pentium IV, 2 gig RAM PC etc system which does not
have a 3.5 floppy drive. The commercials for the PCR1000 states its
ICOM software is on 3.5 inch floppies but a retailer tells me
otherwise. GROAN.

So to you computer gurus who happen to be SWL-HAM experts, any problem
burning the floppies to seperate CDs and installing the ICOM software
in that manner, or am I barking up the wrong tree here and should
justgo with a tabletop broadband model? If so specific recommendations
would be apprecaited. I'd love to have an ICOM R9000.

Yes. Yes. I sent an E-mail to ICOM. Silence thus far, and I suspect the
competency of all sales personnel whose only interest is making a
comissioned sale.

Thanks in advance for any (useful)input.

David(N)