Old April 20th 05, 01:19 PM
cl

"bb" wrote in message
ups.com...

Dee Flint wrote:

Most of the computer programs let you select a pitch you like. Of

course
you would have to arrange with the VE team well in advance of the

test to
have one set up at that pitch for her testing.

Dee, not everyone has a ham-husband to tell them all of the
modifications that the VE may make to an examination

VEs can accommodate you if special testing is needed - BUT - if "special
equipment" is needed, it is up to the examinee to provide it - the VEs are
not liable for that. All Handicapped applicants "should" call ahead to make
special arrangements so that any extra VE team members if needed - can be
there to assist, or whatever other needs - can be met. For example, if I
have a blind applicant, which I had - I can't read his test to him in the
sitting of others taking the exams. That would be distracting. We instead -
gave this person - his exam - after the others were done. "We" did not have
any "Braille" equipment. I'm not even sure if such equipment exists which
would have read the text to him - if fed in. IF so, it would have been up to
him to supply it. Another case required an hour or so of prior preparation
of materials and equipment. We've had other cases where special needs had to
be met, but again - it was by prior arrangement. There is no other way to do
it. For them to just show up - we simply wouldn't have been able to
accommodate them. I don't know of any VEs who would shy away from testing
the handicapped, but you have to work with them too. They don't know your
problems until you tell them. Then - they can work with you to get you
through the exam process. Even if you failed, they will most likely - now
knowing of you and your condition - offer to help you learn it for the next
time. Maybe even help set up a station.

IF you have a tone problem as I've seen the example given, it could take
some time and equipment to get "a" tone for you to be entirely comfortable
with. IF for some reason - the computer can't do it, then perhaps a taped
exam fed through a mixer to acquire the proper tone. OR maybe even a test -
sent by a code practice oscillator set to a pitch - suitable. The code test
may have to be broken down to allow the person to absorb the sound if they
can't "hear" it properly. In this case, a CPO would work with a buzzer - to
"feel" the characters - as an example. Perhaps - light flashing - if the
tones are not able to be heard at all. Any number of issues could be
prevalent and though there are ways to deal with them, it would be hard
pressed to try and do it with a "walk in" handicapped applicant. Walk in -
in case your not aware - means unannounced - in regard to Ham exams.

cl