Old April 20th 05, 11:51 PM
Dee Flint

"bb" wrote in message
ups.com...

cl wrote:
"bb" wrote in message
oups.com...

cl wrote:

[snip]

I disagree. It took a great effort.

What is a great effort? Many times it is a matter of perspective. In other
words what we expect versus reality may make something seem like a "great
effort."

For some - it may! One argument I've heard, is that those musically

inclined
pick it up quicker than others, yet I knew some who "were" musically
inclined and claimed to have a hell of a time with it. Reason? I

don't know.
I can't get inside their head.

Steve can. He can even have them incarcerated with a simple phone
calls.

The biggest problem with most is "laziness".

Was that your problem? If you hadn't been so lazy you could have
learned the code in under a week?

Eh - I had the code down in 2 weeks for the Novice exam. AND I'm now

an
Extra. Been licensed since the early 80s.
Yeah, I probably could have learned it in under a week, if I pushed

myself.

That wasn't my point. My point is that everyone is different, and the
length of time it takes to learn 5WPM varies greatly. The time it
takes to learn 20WPM could be lifetimes. Not everyone is even capable
of 13WPM.

Check out the book "The Art and Skill of Radiotelegraphy." Basically anyone
without a handicap can master 20wpm with the proper training tools if they
are truly motivated to do so. Keep in mind that we all talk faster than
that. We even talk faster than that when we spell out words phonetically!

Most anyone will tell you - it isn't good to do such. Besides, at

that time,
I was chasing rug rats - so study time was premium.

I've been told that is absolutely no excuse. Nothing in your personal
or professional life can be more important than learning the code.

No one has ever said that. We each must choose our activities based on our
personal priorities. But do not whine and cry to change the requirements
simply because it's not high enough on your priority list to put some time
into it. Besides if you haven't time to study code 15 minutes per day, you
don't have time to study the theory either.

Most recommendations are
15 minutes to a half hour a day. That hardly makes it possible in a

week. I
used the words " "AT LEAST" 2 WEEKS". Some are faster learners than

others,
that is a given. BUT my point was, you have to get started to learn
ANYTHING.

The book "Morse Code: The Essential Language" states that the AVERAGE
person is going to need 30 hours of study and practice to get to 5wpm.
Natural there are the "wunderkind" like my daughter who got it in a couple
of weeks and there are others who need many months.

As you said, a person must get started to learn anything.

[snip]

I don't dislike the code. It was difficult for me to make the few
QSO's that I did make as a novice. I'd like to pick it up again
someday.

The first ones are difficult for all of us. Like anything else it takes
time to get good.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE