Old April 21st 05, 01:42 AM
KØHB

"Dee Flint" wrote in message

Actually people who are not required to learn something at a basic level too
often bypass the activity altogether because they perceive it to be harder
than it is. Therein lies the loss.

I don't buy that line of reasoning at all.

I was never "required" to learn to set up a "Lindy Rig", but saw other fishermen
doing it and it looked like fun, so decided it must not be too difficult, so I
learned how.

I was never "required" to learn to swim, but saw other kids doing it and it
looked like fun, so decided it must not be too difficult, so I learned how.

I was never "required" to learn how to kiss a girl, but saw Clark Gable doing
it, and it looked like great fun, so I decided it must not be too difficult, so
I learned how.

I was never "required" to learn Morse Code, but heard it on the Zenith and was
curious about those beeps and boops, so I learned how (a decade before I decided
to be a ham).

I was never "required" to learn RTTY, but saw other hams doing it, and it looked
interesting, so I decided it must not be too difficula, so I learned how.

You probably get the drift.

73, de Hans, K0HB