Old April 21st 05, 04:04 AM
Dee Flint

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Dee Flint" wrote in message

Actually people who are not required to learn something at a basic level
too often bypass the activity altogether because they perceive it to be
harder than it is. Therein lies the loss.

I don't buy that line of reasoning at all.

I was never "required" to learn to set up a "Lindy Rig", but saw other
fishermen doing it and it looked like fun, so decided it must not be too
difficult, so I learned how.

I was never "required" to learn to swim, but saw other kids doing it and
it looked like fun, so decided it must not be too difficult, so I learned
how.

I was never "required" to learn how to kiss a girl, but saw Clark Gable
doing it, and it looked like great fun, so I decided it must not be too
difficult, so I learned how.

I was never "required" to learn Morse Code, but heard it on the Zenith and
was curious about those beeps and boops, so I learned how (a decade before
I decided to be a ham).

I was never "required" to learn RTTY, but saw other hams doing it, and it
looked interesting, so I decided it must not be too difficula, so I
learned how.

You probably get the drift.

73, de Hans, K0HB

But you left out all the things you chose not to do because it "didn't look
interesting" or because "it looked too hard."

Have you tried everything that you have seen others do? And on what basis
did you choose to try some things and not others? Simply because in your,
as yet inexperienced eyes in that arena, it looked interesting? Have you
never tried something because some one else with experience said you should
give it a try? Have you never had the experience of finding something to be
fun and interesting upon being required to do or coaxed to do something that
you thought you wouldn't like?

The real question is not so much the Morse code test per se but what is the
set of basics that all hams should be familiar with whether or not they
personally use that knowledge? Those things should be required whether or
not they are interesting or difficult.

By the way I happen to think that all should be required to learn to swim
whether or not they think they may use it. I happen to consider it a basic
skill in life that all should know.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE