Old April 21st 05, 04:53 PM
Scott Dorsey

Steven P. Burrows wrote:

I have looked over the offerings from Antique Electronics Supply, and their
Fender transformers are a close match. Unfortunately, the Fender
transformers offered there top out at 325-0-325 V for the secondary
windings. I need a transformer with 350-0-350 V / 70 mA, 5 VAC / 2A, and
6.3 VAC / 2.6A secondary windings.

Go with the Fender, and see what the actual operating voltages are. I
suspect that the output of the Fender transformer will be higher than
rated if they are operated below full rated load.

If the B+ is not in the correct range with the new transformer, swap
the rectifier tube out for silicon. You'll gain probably more than 25V
in the process.

I would also be interested in finding out a place to send the old
transformers for rewinding if nothing is available for replacement.

Peter Dahl Co. in Texas will rewind them, and they will also probably
be willing to build you a new one that is a better match for the original
Hallicrafter part. They might even have the drawings for the original,
even. They will charge a lot of money, but their work is magnificent
and as far as I can tell their rebuilts are far more reliable than the
original windings.
--scott