Old April 21st 05, 08:02 PM
Chris Suslowicz

In article MDF9e.3514$lz1.2504@lakeread01,
"Steven P. Burrows" wrote:

(Damp transformer insulation)

Meanwhile, while I search for replacements I plan to attempt to dry out the
old units by removing their shell covers and sealing them in an airtight
container with silica gel for a dessicant, for about a week to ten days. I
have read of techniques for drying out transformers that involve running a
low DC voltage in the primary for several tays to heat up the transformer so
that the water could be cooked out.

That's really only for oil-cooled transformers in electricity substations,
where you had to get *all* the moisture out of the (paper) insulation
before filling with oil or bad things happened when you applied power.

The risk of arcing and/or electrolytic
corrosion makes this approach seem risky to me. I am not particularly
interested in setting up an oven to passively dry out these things, so a
chemical dessicant seemed a reasonable approach. I work in a university
chemistry department, so if I can find some sort of vacuum chamber, I might
try to remove the water that way also.

Keeping it in a warm/hot place, sealed up with some dessicant is
probably the best bet, but it will take quite a long time. The
vacuum trick sounds like a good idea, but might give problems
with plastic insulation if you pump it down too far.

Best,
Chris.

--
Just remember, violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
The rest of us don't wait until it's the only option. -- R B-W