Old April 21st 05, 09:12 PM
bpnjensen

John S. wrote:

Yes, it is interesting that most of the guys that fight the wars are

not there out of choice. They are there not out of some burning desire

to kill the other side, but, are there to do a job they have been
ordered to do. The pilots, sailors and soldiers I've talked with are
willing to talk about the personal side of their wartime experience -
the people met, comrades, fun time in camp and to an extent what the
war machines were like to operate. They go understandably quiet the
closer the conversation gets to what really happens in wartime.

My Dad was in Korea 22 months. This describes his feelings to a tee.
When asked about the war, he replied that he was mostly bitter, that he
felt two years of his life were just washed away, and that he missed so
much at home. Other than telling us that drove and operated a
Jeep/Truck with an 88mm "cannon" mounted on top, he never really talked
about his experience - he just wanted to forget it. He won several
sharpshooter and other awards (bars and small medals) and he won a
bronze star - for what, we will now never know - he never told us, and
his HD papers do not reveal the circumstances.

Bruce Jensen