Old April 22nd 05, 02:54 AM
running dogg

Jim wrote:

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 21:23:08 +0100, SR wrote:

I notice that the only Caribbean station I could pick up is Radio Havana
Cuba. Their seem to be no other Caribbean station on shortwave radio on
the air or listed in MT mag.

To name a few, I am looking for Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Haiti, Dominican
Republic, and Trinidad.

Doesn't evey country in the whole world has a least one shortwave station?

Perhaps they used to - 20, 30, 40 years ago. This is the 21st
century now. More countries are dropping shortwave every year.

Although, I don't remember those countries *ever* having a shortwave
station.

Haiti used to be on SW, I think it was 4VEH or 4VEJ. But they haven't
been heard on SW in over 20 years, I figure their tx went bad and since
Haiti is so poor they never could replace it. Puerto Rico never had
domestic SW, but did have an AFRTS outlet at the Roosevelt Roads base,
however that was moved to Key West. As for the rest, they've never had
SW stations that I know about. Cuba has some interesting broadcasts,
they play a lot of Caribbean jazz and other Caribbean music, but don't
expect local Caribbean news from them, their English broadcasts are
mostly long (and long winded) criticisms of the US. You may try the
BBCWS Caribbean Service for local Caribbean news, I believe they're on
5975 khz between 2200-0100 UTC.