Old April 22nd 05, 05:19 PM
Tam/WB2TT

"Pat" wrote in message
.. .
I just bought an Icom PW-1 (1kW) amplifier. My concern is whether or
not I could potentially burn out the front end of other receivers attached
nearby antennas. My tower clears the roof line of the house by about 10'.
The 6 band HF beam is 1' above the thrust bearing (top of tower), and
approximately 8' above the beam is the triband vertical (at the very top
of
the mast.) That said, there will definitely be a significant RF field
above
and
below the beam, as well as to the obvious front and back of the beam.

So, is there a danger of inducing destructive voltages to the vertical
above? What about other antennas on my roof near the tower?

My beam is well above the roof line, but as I have two tripods on the
roof,
each with assorted verticals and beams {6m - 70cm LogP, two discones, a
902
yagi, and 902 vertical, and a 220MHz vertical.) These are each 25 to 30
feet away from the HF beam. There's also a distorted G5RV (aka: has a 90
degree turn near the end of the long leg as to stay on the property)
running
off the roof to some trees along the back fence.

So you see my concern about having a 1KW RF source in proximity to all the
other antennas. Any other kilowatters out there with some experience or
advice
to share?

'73,
Pat, VE3PMK

Pat,
This is probably worst case, but after installing a new 75 m antenna, I
measured the power picked up by the old one, broadside, and about 30 feet
apart. Got 10 W at the end of the feedline. Unfortunately, I can't remember
if I was running 100W or a KW at the time, but lean towards the 100W.

On the other hand, I have a tribander with a 2m beam 4 feet above it, and a
6m beam 4 feet above the 2. No problems running a KW on HF and 375W on 6. If
I were to run a KW on 10m, and turn the 6 m radio to 10 also, that would be
a different matter. As it is, there is a Bencher 32 MHz LPF at the output of
the HF amp.

Tam/WB2TT