Old April 22nd 05, 10:49 PM
gb

"Gavin" wrote in message
OK, so here is the situation.

I have a 10W FM transmitter set to 87.7MHz. I also have a folded Dipole
antenna and a 20 meter high mast.

Would it produce and great coverage area with the antenna horizontal or
vertical?

Many Thanks

Gavin.

For FM Broadcasting this is VERY IMPORTANT. Originally, FM broadcasters
used horizontal polarization (usually versions of "halos" ) for their
broadcast antennas. This was fine for fixed or home listeners, who used
horizontal TV/FM antennas or folder wire dipoles (included with many stereo
receivers) - BUT cars and mobile FM receivers tended to be vertically
polarized. In order to address this 2 solutions were used -- one was to add
a vertically polarized element to a large "phased array" on the side of the
tower. The other was to replace the antenna with one that could produce
circular polarization
http://www.starantenna.com/fm_broadcast_antenna.htm

http://www.scott-inc.com/html/fmant.htm

w9gb