Old April 23rd 05, 01:15 AM
bb

cl wrote:
"bb" wrote in message
oups.com...

K=D8HB wrote:
"Michael Coslo" wrote in message

No other part of the testing is a skill.

My point EXACTLY, Mike.

While there are many skills associated with our hobby, only one of

those skills
is singled out for a required demonstration.

Interestingly, if that skill is so vital as to need a skill

demonstration, it
would seem that no-one who had not been tested would be allowed to

use it on the
air. Yet a basic Technician licensee is perfectly free to use Morse

on the air
without having passed a Morse test. So much for the need for a

demonstration
before a license grant!

73, de Hans, K0HB

I wonder how VE Dee would accomodate the disabled in the Tower

Climbing
pass/fail skill exam?

Not that Tower climbing will likely ever become an issue with the

exam,

I'm going to advocate it during the next NPRM.

but
if it were, then I'd suggest there would be questions relating to the

proper
safety techniques of doing such a job,

No questions. They need to climb a 60 foot tower, haul up the coax and
an HF-tribander, fasten it, point it north, and make the connections.

wherein "actual" "physical"
demonstration is not needed nor required.

But it is. Otherwise, how would we know they could do it?

Given that - a wheel chair bound
person "could" pass those parts of an exam. I can't fathom tower

climbing
becoming a major issue.

Yet Morse Code has become a major issue. Just because not everyone is
going to have a tower is no excuse for not being able to demonstrate
the ability.