Old April 22nd 05, 11:20 PM
Volker Tonn

David schrieb:

If you want a high end radio, solely for shortwave, consider a Ten-Tec
RX-340, or ask about high-end surplus radios. Be ready to wade through
more "religious" flames, though, since people are very loyal to their
favorites. At least the flames will be on-topic, though...

Thanks Eric - Yes I have noticed all the OT Trolls here. I'll continue
to filter them out. I've bought an ICOM R7100 and a Drake R8. It should
arrive sometime in early May, plenty of time to consider antennas and
computer aided software for them and acquire the RS-232 interface
cables. Comments on these acquisitions would be apreciated as well. g

Hi!
Your quoting is horrible...I have repaired it...
Your choice on RX's is really not bad and generally very good value on
the money.

For the R7100 I would highly recomend the Diamond X50 or X5000 multiband
verticals. They have much gain on the bands they are cut for. And they
still have some gain compared to a dipole on most other freqs in its
range. They outperform a discone easily wich has no gain over a dipole.
If needed and there is space enough add a LDPA (logrithmic dipole array)
antenna for VHF/UHF with a rotator.
For SW DX a 27ft vertical with many loooong radials and antenna tunerfor
impedance match(!) will work extremely good on DX from 60 to 10 mtr
bands. A horizontal dipole will work better on continental stations.
Have much fun with your new toys!