Old April 23rd 05, 04:11 AM
Gary

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 18:40:19 GMT, Bob Miller
wrote:

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 06:17:21 -0400, Gary wrote:

I've done a bit of reading on G5RV's and I plan to just use the
standard configuration of a 102' dipole center fed with 32' of 450 Ohm
ladder line. Then I'm going to attach RG8X to the ladder line and
right near the connection construct a current choke of 8 turns of coax
about 6" in diameter. And then run the coax to my antenna tuner. some
of the sites I've run across mention that the G5RV needs at least 70'
of coax to function properly. This seems pretty lossy to me and I
don't see the need for the 70' of coax, perhaps someone can enlighten
me ? I'd like to keep the run of coax as short as possible.

See g5rv's article at http://www.qsl.net/aa3px/g5rv.htm

He said you can use up to 70 feet of coax and not suffer too much
loss; the shorter the better, tho'

He also had other recommendations for feedlines.

bob
k5qwg

Thanks for the info and the link Bob.

73 Gary K8IQ

Also I was digging through my insulators and I can't find one that
would offer strain relief for the ladder line and perhaps a connection
on top to use a wire or rope to add support to the center of the
antenna. I wonder if anyone has a source for one.

Once again, thanks in advance.

73 Gary K8IQ