Old April 23rd 05, 03:16 PM
Da udder one ya dont know

Brad wrote:
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
robert casey wrote:

I used to tin the braid then use a small tubing cutter to trim

the
shield to the right length. I used a drill to remove the plating

from
the holes and file all the chrome off between the holes. I tinned

the
center conductor and put a drop of liquid RMA flux on the center
conductor and the braid before I put the coax into the plug, then
soldered all four holes and the center pin. I didn't melt the
dielectric, and you couldn't pull the coax out of the plug.

That's a hell of a lot of messing about and time consuming too. A

crimp on
PL259 for RG58 series or RG213 series cables would take about 2

minutes to
install, no soldering, no chance of heat damage, no shorts and they

can be
fitted in the field.

Brad.

Solderless connectors for RF applications? A quick fix for sure but not
a lasting one! The only crimped connector I've ever seen work is the
cable TV connectors and the center conductor us used directly.

Hey Mike, Don't rule all Hams. I will agree that most look down their
noses and anyone with a lesser class of ticket and none at all is even
worse but there are some that are helpful and knowledgeable in their
field. I would guess that most hams don't know sqat anymore. Store
bought radios and cables and antennas really are the problem here.
Everyone operates and yaks about the weather and their latest hemmroid
attack but no one know how to fix a broken radio. Heck, I even saw a
post from a Canadian Ham that wanted some one to align his Heath stuff,
How easy can you get and yet he can't do it or won't even learn how to
do it.

My mentor in the 60's in Ham radio is now long dead but when that man
taught you something it stuck and we built some of the most God awful
transmitters and regen receivers but they worked and the knowledge
stuck.
His motto was "Why buy it when you can build it" and he built
everything he used on the air too. People looked down on him too as he
held a Conditional class back then.

noyk in Ocala