Old April 24th 05, 12:53 PM
Jason

Default Hearing Telephone Conversations

About 10 years ago now, one sunday morning, I was tuning around the SW
Bands.
(On a very common Panasonic Radio that had the basic SW frequencies. 6,000 -
19,000 approx.)

It was one of my first forrays into SWL (and one which kept me hooked.) and
after a while of tuning around
I stumbled across what seemed to be a conversation with two people, in
particular two elderly women.

At first I thought it was a radio soap/drama as the conversation was full of
gossip. (In fact one of the elderly women reported the death of a close
friend, to which the other replied with arresting apathy.)

About 5 minutes of this insued..

Then both parties said goodbye to each other and hung up, with a small beep
to signal the end of the call. I waited for about ten seconds and I heard
the ringing tone again (beep, beep..... beep,beep in case you didn't know.)

The same voice was heard (she must have picked up the phone and dialled
someone else.) And the conversation continued. (With the previous caller
being gossiped about this time,)

I know it is possible to listen into telecommunications, and they have
designated frequencies, but I was surprised to hear that kind of thing at
all so easily. I don't condone listening to private conversations, but this
was a one off, which I was surprised by.

Is this a common occurance? Has anybody else got any good stories of hearing
this kind of stuff?