Old April 25th 05, 02:45 PM
Kelvin Chu

Default 20db/decade = 6db/octave

Hi Group,

I'm self-reading this RF book (practical rf circuit design for modern
wireless systems, artech house), and up to chapter 2, but stuck on this:

in the book, it says 20db/decade = 6db/octave

now, I understand that 1 decade = 10 fold increase, and 1 octave = 2 fold
increase, but I can't for the life of me get why 20db/decade = 6db/octave

There is an example where he takes the ratio of the two (10/2 = 5) and then
justifies it by saying 20dB - 6dB = 14dB, with a table of other values,
which make me more confused)

So, if anyone can answer my question, which is
1. why is 20db/decade = 6db/octave and
2. what's the significance? (a short pointer would be good, motivate me to
keep reading :-P),
I'd be eternally grateful (and have more hairs left on my head...)

Thanks,

Kelv