Old April 25th 05, 06:56 PM
Tam/WB2TT

"Chuck W." wrote in message
oups.com...
Okay, so here's a slightly-off-subject follow-up. I looked thru
cebik's web site and didn't see this addressed: Since the G5RV isn't
particularly resonant on 17 and 15 meters, if I connected a dipole for
each of these bands, in parallel, at the same feedpoint as the G5RV
would this work effectively?

I had dipoles cut for 40, 17, and 12 m all in parallel, and it works fine,
so long as you can get several feet of separation between the ends of the
dipoles and the other wires. Just tune the highest frequency antenna first
and then work down. This was for a 50 Ohm feedline. A real G5RV uses 1/2
wavelength at 20 m of 450 Ohm line; this is transparent at 20 m, but makes
the antenna usable on 80. The 450 Ohm line would probably mess up any
parallel dipoles you hang across the G5RV.

Tam/WB2TT

Way back when, I recall putting multiple dipoles at the same feedpoint
without incident, but I haven't really seen this discussed much.
Intuition suggests that they would interact negatively and impedance
would be wacky.

-Chuck