Old April 25th 05, 07:38 PM

"Wes Stewart" *n7ws*@ yahoo.com wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 19:38:10 GMT, "
wrote:

|"Richard Harrison" wrote in message
| Reg, G4FGQ wrote:
| "Naturally, laboratories can differ one from another."
|
| A lab may put its stamp of approval on your instrument, but your best
| assurance may be measurement of known values. The temperature of
| ice-water or the voltage of new dry cells, for example You usually can
| try several dry cells for confirmation or averaging.
|
| In antennas, one strategy for successful gain determination is
| comparison with an antenna of known gain.
|
|Whow, thats a good idea, write it up for QST. They are looking for pearls
of
|wisdom
|that can be useful for ham radio operators so that we may maintain our
|perceived
|leadership of the art of antennas......'Compare with a antenna of known
|gain'...... Revolutionary!
|Now why hasn't any Guru on this group thought of this before today?

Perhaps because it's so commonplace that it doesn't bear mentioning.

That's what I thought. So why did Richard say it unless he felt that Reg's
education in antennas was a bit lacking. Reg's question was specific and of
high caliber
Richard's answer tried to bring it down to a level for dummies which did
not begin
to reflect on the question posed

|Now we have to decide what we use to measure the gain and more important
|not to compare or to compare at a single recieving point especially if
the
|receiving depends
| on skip or propagation. Is it possible that Guru's are unaware that
|elevation angles
|can be different when comparing antennas? Another gem for the ARRL and
|provided
|solely by the leading gurus of AMATEUR radio operators no less. Ofcourse
we
|need
|a telephone link with the country that we wish to hear the transmission,
|some thing on the simple lines of
|...."can you hear me now"
| question as we switch antennas
|between a dipole and a drape / curtain array every 5 minutes

If

Yes ,,,a big "IF" isn't it?
But you could supply the info Reg was looking for since you
perceive yourself as a GURU .
It would be much more rewarding to the group as a whole than
picking out somebody to demean.My point is that a gain figure alone
is meaningless unless the elevation angle differences or perhaps a
3 dB window comparison are also supplied.
If you think otherwise I would welcome a technical response
rather than something lead by emotion

Art

you believe that precision antenna gain measurements are made under
ionospheric propagation conditions, you are clearly delusional. But I
repeat myself.