Old April 25th 05, 06:11 PM
Bob Miller

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 11:10:53 -0400, Robert Myers
wrote:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the information.
Good ground where, though? Around the antenna, like 'wires in the lawn.'
Or, a good ground from your transmitter to ground, or good ground
from your SA-2040 to ground (or both via separate braids to a common
ground point --- like a cold water pipe. Not too sure. Can you elaborate?

How did you create your good ground? How about if I soldered a 5 ft.,
3/4 inch braid to the point where the cold water feed from the city
enters the basement --- I can set up the whole station right in that
location then (within that 5 feet I mean, because the basement is
unfinished. How are you doing your grounding?

Thanks for the help.
--- Rob

You may or may not need an RF ground, depending on whether you are
tuning a balanced or unbalanced antenna. I have 1/2" braid coming off
the back of my mfj tuner to a short length of copper pipe (I have rock
about 12" down), and then I have two 70-ft buried wires across the
lawn.

I'm still trying to decipher what constitutes a good or better tuner.
I recently got an older Murch 2000 transmatch whose components, the
two variable caps and the variable inductor, are about 50% bigger than
those in my mfj-989c, but the Mighty Fine Junk tunes bands the Murch
won't touch :-)

Oh, well...

bob
k5qwg

Steve wrote:

Rob, got a 2040 also, mine has 28 uh roller inductor
in the middle and it hanldes extreme loads! Dont know
what your trying to tune, but have 2 loops here and its a
breeze to work with! sometimes a single wire antenna
poses a threat to the tuner. got a analyzer here and it
seems to tell the truth more often than not!
Key is a good ground, and is a must!

steve.... gud luck.