Old April 26th 05, 01:22 AM
€ Dr. Artaud €

wrote in news:9822-426D68CC-639@storefull-
3257.bay.webtv.net:

There was a flea market near here that occupied an essentially abandoned
mall. During warmer weather, quite a few vendors crowded the outside, and,
regardless of the weather, the regulars were always inside. These people
rented spaces year round.

One of the regulars was a nice old man with blue lips (Cyanosis of some
sort, not enough oxygen to his lips). Anyway, he always had several tube
type shortwave radios. He repaired them, replacing the capacitors and such
as needed, and would sell them at the flea market. They were always fine
examples of equipment.

I don't know if sell is the appropriate word, as it seemed that the same
radios were there week to week. Most likely the locals simply didn't have
any interest in shortwave, as his equipment would have sold easily on E-
Bay. I always wanted to buy one, but knowing that I really didn't have the
space for it, never got around to it. He would also sell Model Trains,
Phones, and miscellaneous stuff including CBs and older programmable
scanners, I bought a scanner from him once.

The scanner was an older Radio Shack model that was easily modifiable for
cellular reception.
http://scanpix1.home.att.net/RS/pro2030.jpg
http://www.phreak.org/radio/mods/pro2030.txt

It had been modified prior to my purchasing it. The radio would indeed
receive cellular, but the radio had a small problem with the receive, and
it would cut out periodically. I made the mistake and sent it back to Radio
Shack for repair. They found a cold solder joint, something that I had
looked for, but did not find.

When I got the radio back, it no longer received cellular. I took the radio
apart to see if they restored the wire that had originally been cut to
allow cellular reception, but they hadn't. A close look revealed that they
had replaced an entire processor board. Obviously this is more than a cold
solder joint. All I can think is that they are required to alter repaired
scanners to prohibit cellular reception, perhaps, at least, altering the
radios that appear to have been illegally modified by their owners.

Regards,

Dr. Artaud

Thanks for the information about S-38EB Radios,Dr. Artaud.It is always
interesting to me to find out something about my old dinasaur radio
collection.I guess you could say my radio is a blonde color.I just now
took another look at it (it is sitting on a big old antique trunk in my
dining room) and I think it has a Maple wood woodgrain look.Most of us
have seen metal things painted to look like wood/woodgrain such as the
dashboards in old cars and different kinds of things.
cuhulin