Old April 26th 05, 09:00 PM
Dave Platt

In article ,

I understand that some amateurs used to wax their ladder line. Or was
that they soaked the wooden spreaders in hot wax?

I understand that the latter technique was quite commonly used. A
block of paraffin (available at many grocery stores for use in the
canning of vegetables), a large double boiler (electric heat preferred
over gas, I believe?), a bunch of dowels cut to size and end-notched
and drilled for twist-ties, and a few minutes of soaking in the molten
paraffin. This should impregnate the pores in the wood and do a
pretty good job of water-proofing the spreaders.

A more modern approach (perhaps more convenient but I'm not sure it's
any better electrically) is to apply two or three good coats of spar
varnish or outdoor-rated polyurethane to the spreaders after notching
and drilling. Diluting the first coat by about 30% with mineral
spirits may aid penetration and improve the seal; sanding between
coats may be required for proper adhesion.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO