Old October 29th 03, 06:14 PM
Scott Dorsey

Mike Knudsen wrote:
In article , (Scott Dorsey)
writes:

The problem with the R390 is that the audio quality just stinks. Great for
DXing, not good for casual shortwave listening. The filters ring like mad
and the distortion on the output stage is way too high for my taste. There
are some aftermarket AF decks for these but they don't solve the real
problems.

Might you have meant the "A" when you said the filters ring? SWLs often prefer
the older non-A since its LC IF selectivity doesn't ring like the mechanical
filters in the "A".

Yes, I did. I think the mechanical filters are worth every penny for the
better selectivity. I mean, amazing selectivity. But the ringing gets
to you on long listening sessions.
--scott