Old October 30th 03, 06:44 AM
Pete KE9OA

I wonder if you are thinking about the same receiver as I
am..............the R388 had 30 bands, in 1 MHz increments, from .5 to
30.5MHz. This unit had 1kHz readout throughout the range. I've owned the HRO
60-T, and while it was a good receiver, it still wasn't as good as a
properly working R388. You are right about that audio output stage on the
National receiver, though. It did sound good. Same thing about those Johnson
products. That VFO was a work of wonder.

Pete

Roger Brown wrote in message
Stay with Johnson products. DX-100 OK but Heath gear was mechanically
inferior in comparison. As to a receiver - go with the HRO-60. Beats any
of the Collins for audio fidelity and output, although not as mechanically
well built. The HRO's superior bandspread is another advantage you'll

lose
with a 388. That's my preference.
Roger Brown, KL7Q

"Charles" wrote in message
.. .
Go with the DX-100 B Much better Transmitter
"Dave" wrote in message
news.com...
In the future I would like to set up an AM station for the low bands
(just 160m, 80m, and 40m) and am doing some research as to what
equipment I should be looking for.

What I use I think is awesome. Heathkit DX-100 (not the B version)
and a Collins R388 housed in a matching DX-100 cabinet. The two
make a 'pair' that way - the R388 fits the DX-100 case exactly, and
they look terrific together. And the AM quality of the plate

modulated
DX-100 beats any of the smaller AM rigs out there. Also makes
a fantastic CW setup, and the R388 is a very delightful all-wave SW
receiver to boot.

That's my vote

Dave WB7AWK