Old May 1st 05, 12:13 AM
Dee Flint

"KØHB" wrote in message
nk.net...

"K4YZ" wrote

There is a very painful and delicate balance between the lattitude
permitted by what we call "free speech" and where your "right" to be
abusive in public stops.

"As it is an ancient truth that freedom cannot be legislated into
existence, so it is no less obvious that freedom cannot be censored into
existence."
-- Dwight David Eisenhower (1890-1969), 34th US President

"Our liberty depends on the freedom of speech and that cannot be limited
without being lost."
-- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), 3rd US President

The only valid limitation of free speech under our Constitution is your
individual right not to listen.

ZBM2,

de Hans, K0HB

In a practical sense there are de facto limits. One is perfectly free to
commit slander and libel. It's not illegal and one cannot go to jail for
it. Yet people CAN be held finanicially liable for the effects of their
slander, etc. This liability for the effects of one's "free speech" are a
limit even though it is not censorship.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE