Old April 30th 05, 11:58 PM
€ Dr. Artaud €

(Jim) wrote in news:21474-4273BFC6-425
@storefull-3251.bay.webtv.net:

Being that I don't believe that this model has preprogrammed frequencies,
leaving it in storage should present little problem. Remember that
battery corrosion can destroy the radio, so if you plan to long term
store it, you'll need to remove the batteries anyway.

Even the DX-398, with all the preprogrammed memories that it has,
shouldn't suffer anymore than the loss of the memories (and requisite
manual reprogramming). My Icom R-75 and Yaesu FRG-100 both are designed
to go extended time without power applied, likely they have an internal
battery, similar to that found in PCs. I don't believe that the DX-398
has this, no batteries for too long, no memories. I believe that the DX-
399 is the same situation. I do not believe that there is an internal
battery. Storage should be ok, but watch those batteries for corrosion.

Regards,

Dr. Artaud

when rat shack had the dx399 on close-out for $30 i bought three of
them. i have one for rough service as my dumptruck radio and another to
use around the house. the third is stored unopened as a spare. my
question is this: can the radio deteriorate in any way by never having
batteries put in it? how is its software stored? i know that lots of
devices have a miniature rechargeable battery on the board and needs to
be powered up occasionally to keep its memory. are digital radios like
this? or is everything "burned" in permanently?