Old May 3rd 05, 03:40 AM
LauraM

norml wrote:
KGO uses a directional antenna. AM directional anntennas work by

generating
interfering or re-inforcing waves in various directions.

KGO's system favors the north-south directions and disfavors

east-west
transmission.

Your gold country home is in a "null" direction from the KGO

transmitter
(at the eastern end of the Dumbarton bridge).

In such areas, the phase interference produced by the transmitting

antenna
causes distortion in receivers.

KNBR has a non-directional antenna which is not subject to these

effects.

The only way to improve your reception of KGO is to move.

As for your auto reception, the phase interference is a factor of

postion.
If you drive around while listening to KGO you will find the area of
distortion is in a line between you and the KGO transmitter.

BTW, how is your reception of KCBS? Its situation is similar to KGO's

Norm Lehfeldt

Thanks for such a clear response! KCBS comes in strong and is very
clear as well. That's really strange since KGO is practically
non-existent. I was going through talk radio withdrawal. The only
really clear talk radio was out of Utah or KSFO. Neither were stations
I like to listen to. Maybe I should think about listening via the
internet.