Old May 4th 05, 01:54 AM
Bill Sohl

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Dee Flint wrote:

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message
egroups.com...

KØHB wrote:

The growth in numbers of Amateurs over the past decade
has been overwhelmingly via the Technician license.

.... since about 1987 or so, most new hams
have started out as Technicians.

Jim, we can nit-pick the semantics if you really think that's productive,
but the two statements above both seem to convey the same notion, which
we might more clearly state "Most new hams since 1991 have entered via
the Technician class which is now the largest single license class in the
US, comprising almost half (47.7%) of the population of licensees in this
country, nearly equal to the combined total population of the three
higher classes.".
73, de Hans, K0HB

In any activity it would be normal for the "beginners" group to be the
largest segment. There are always a lot of people who start activities
but then drop out for a wide variety of reasons.

Every person that drops out is one small failure on our part.

I wouldn't take it that seriously. Lots of folks start something
new only to learn it isn't their "cup of tea." Now if they
drop because others in the hobby (whatever the hobby) didn't
welcome them or otherwise treated them in an unwelcome manner...
then that is a shame and a failure.

We need to cultivate these new folk into the ARS. They are a resource that
is being largely ignored by the "better Hams".
- Mike KB3EIA -

Agree...We should always be encouraging new blood.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK