Old May 4th 05, 04:39 AM

I have a couple of PAR Inc filters that Dale makes and they are great
for BCB intermod elimination. There are 3 MW stations within a 4 mile
radius of me and the PAR filters totally wipe 'em out.

Frank

wrote:
The Icom PCR1000 is a wide band 100KHz~1200MHz receiver.
Many get one because of that wide frequency coverage.
I got one in a trade and while it does clearly work on HF,
it is very prone to overload if a decent antenna is used.

Over the weekend we visited a friend who has just completed
her PHD and she clued me into to some usefull addtions
to the PCR1000. First get a Kiwa BCB high pass filter
if you intend to use the PCR1000 on HF. Removing the signals
from MW realy helps clean up the receiver. Use an external
attenuator, the internal one can add gross distortion.

If one is into LF then use the Kiwa LP MW reject filter.
And again an external attenuator is a good idea.

Another usefull filter is a FM BCB (88~108MHz) band reject.
This cleans up VHS and UHF more then HF/LF but the improvement
is probably worth while.

We used an attenuator with 1dB steps down to 120 dB, but a 10dB
and a 20dB would be more then enough.

With these outboard additions the PCR1000 becomes a much usefull
HF/LF receiver. Not in the league of a "real" SW receiver, but
much better then it comes out of the box.

Terry