Old November 6th 03, 05:38 AM
--exray--

Default Hallicrafters SX-110 opinions?

G.Beat wrote:
"Christopher Tyle" wrote in message

Hi, I thinking of buying one of these older receivers. I wonder if anyone
out there might be able to give me any pros/cons.

Thanks,
Chris

Yes, eBay is constantly uncovering Hallicrafters receivers (this is a good
thing)
The SX-110 sold for $ 160 to $ 170 new (circa 1959).

Depends on what you are looking for. Its a medium-grade rig of its era.
Better than some, less than others. Single-conversion is a big
negative for a SW receiver but it has some other features.
If its your first SW tube radio you'll be happy. If its to sit next to
your 'main' rig, it could be disappointing, especially at this lull in
the sunspot cycle.
Maintenance-wise, I think this guy is from the era of the PINK
capacitors and could probably be routinely perked up by recapping and
realignment even though it may be "working" in its present state.
Price-wise I don't have a clue. Many vintage models suffer from
"nostalgic inflation" and the going price has no bearing on its worth.
I think realistically its a $100 radio if its in good shape but I
wouldn't be at all surprised if 150-200 was a more common going price.

-Bill