Old May 5th 05, 12:36 AM
Dee Flint

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Dee Flint wrote:

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message
egroups.com...

KØHB wrote:

The growth in numbers of Amateurs over the past decade
has been overwhelmingly via the Technician license.

.... since about 1987 or so, most new hams
have started out as Technicians.

Jim, we can nit-pick the semantics if you really think that's productive,
but the two statements above both seem to convey the same notion, which
we might more clearly state "Most new hams since 1991 have entered via
the Technician class which is now the largest single license class in the
US, comprising almost half (47.7%) of the population of licensees in this
country, nearly equal to the combined total population of the three
higher classes.".

73, de Hans, K0HB

In any activity it would be normal for the "beginners" group to be the
largest segment. There are always a lot of people who start activities
but then drop out for a wide variety of reasons.

Every person that drops out is one small failure on our part.

I disagree. Everyone who has been convinced to give it a try is a success
on our part. Not everyone who tries it will find it to be interesting to
them in the long run. However, they have enriched their lives and broadened
their horizons by even an introductory participation.

We need to cultivate these new folk into the ARS. They are a resource that
is being largely ignored by the "better Hams".

- Mike KB3EIA -

We do need to spend more time in working with people to determine if they
have a long term interest and help them develop that. Just because some
drop out doesn't mean that the ARS has failed. It is perfectly legitimate
for a person to start an activity and once they have learned something about
it to make the judgement that their interets do no lie in that particular
hobby. That's not an ARS failure.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE