Old May 5th 05, 08:18 AM

On Sun, 01 May 2005 20:39:57 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Roger Conroy wrote:
Can you define "changes" without reference to time?

My dog cannot tell time but knows when to eat by the
changes in her feelings from not hungry to hungry. Time
is just an artifact of man's mental model of reality.
Before man emerged, living organisms got by on changes
alone with no reference to time.

I hadn't thought of this for a lot of years, but the first
definition of it was, "Time is a measure of change; if nothing
changed, you couldn't assign time to it."

That reminds me of something I caught my Dad on one time.
Daylight savings time had just arrived and we set our
clocks forward one hour thus losing one hour of sleep. I
said, "Pity the poor birds who have to wake up an hour
earlier and fly around in the dark." My Dad said, "Yeah,
poor birds, - - - hey, wait a minute!"

It started early with you, huh? :-)