Old May 5th 05, 07:56 AM
K4YZ

K=D8HB wrote:
"bb" wrote

The ARRL may not be just about HF
radio using Morse Code, but the Technicians think it is.

I think that's probably a reasonably accurate statement.

But why should they?

Almost every aspect of ARRL policy and practice is focused on
getting MORE people into Amateur Radio and USING those people in their
programs, ie ARES.

There's not one sentence, nay one letter in any ARRL policy or
program that "disses" anyone because of their level of licensure.

And it is what my PBI is intended to address --- putting ARRL back

into
"mainstreet amateur radio" where the Technicians live, and connecting

with them
in the activities that are relevant to them.

ARES isn't? Special Services Clubs?

They've accomodated NCT's at almost every turn...Even most of the
League's long time awards have been adapated or modified in some form
to accomodate them.

I just don't see it. I didn't see it when I was a Novice. Nor
when I was a Tech, General, Advanced or Extra.

The ARRL is a NATIONAL organization. I think they do the best
that they can to help promote Amateur Radio, and if they were to do
anything more for the grass roots level, it would be with getting more
air-time/print in national media.

Several years ago we all got into a turn over how it seems like
there are certain mindsets drawn to Amateur Radio...EMS-types,
experimenters, "gadget freaks" and competitors.

Instead of trying to "recruit" persons from other (most likely
disinterested) demographics, why not just capitalize on the ones that
seem to have a large drawing? EMS, Aviation, "orienteering" and
outdoors types, engineering, etc.

Steve, K4YZ