Old May 6th 05, 09:42 PM
Greg and Joan

"Stern, for example, was regularly fined for indecency by the newly
aggressive Republican-led Federal Communications Commission"

Stern was not fined, but his employer WAS fined, but in past
administrations, the radio biz regarded the fines as a cost of doing
business.

This is not unlike a guy who likes to drive his Lamborghini on the highway
at 100 mph or through residential neighborhoods at 50. He does not view
the tickets as societal sanctions but part of the cost of owning the car.
Ditto his DUIs if he has a habit of imbibing.

". Radio stars Opie and Anthony - known for outrageous stunts such as
recording sex in churches - couldn't keep paying the government fines their
smut brought on
them."

The O&A church stunt probably was going to end up with license action, and
not nominal (to the broadcaster) fines. Which is why they were immediately
kicked out of their gigs. The president of the beer company that
sponsored the stunt also found his company in a horrendous public relations
situation.

Satellite radio is grand. It frees the publicly owned airwaves from this
stuff. Everyone has recognized that there is still a market for this
trash radio. So, they can go out there and charge for it, and if someone
pays for it, OK with me. Just don't make me PAY for it.