Old May 7th 05, 01:42 AM
Dee Flint

"K4YZ" wrote in message
ups.com...

John Kasupski wrote:

[snip]

When they get to the local clubs and hook up with other newcomers

(and
the observation that the vast majority of newcomers to the ARS enter
via the Technician route is dead on...that's why it's called the
"entry-level license class"), they find the other Techs basically
doing the only things they're permitted to do, absent any meaningful
HF privileges unless they pass a code test - they're doing Skywarn;
tactical comms for parades, bike races, marathons; Field Day, etc.

"...absent any meaningful HF privileges..."

Sounds like a set-up for the "If you don't have HF you're not a
Ham" argument, John. Not only are well over 90% of all Amateur
allocations above 50Mhz, so are most ACTIVITIES above 50MHz.

I went on up to Extra thinking all the activities were on HF only
to find I keep pulling back to 50Mhz and up for a lot of my hamming
activities.

I think the "failure" comes only from thinking that there's
"nothing to do" above 50Mhz. That's just wrong.

Have you noticed how the majority of participants in non-repeater
VHF/UHF/and up activities are NOT the Technicians. Just get on during the
ARRL VHF contest and count the percentage of stations that are General class
and higher that you end up working.

My OM is a fan of the VHF realm and has made presentations to the club on
what you can do in these area of the hobby. The result? Well maybe 2 out
of 100 work satellites and SSB and another couple work FM simplex and SSB.
That's it (sigh).

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE