Old May 7th 05, 11:42 PM
Gary S.

On 7 May 2005 18:38:24 GMT, (Michael Black)
wrote:

Gary S. (Idontwantspam@net) writes:

Basic white vinegar from the grocery store is a reasonably safe acid
to work with. Cheap to experiment with different concentrations, and
probably stronger than the lemon juice, certainly less expensive.

I've never found anything on blank circuit board that couldn't come
off with just a good scrubbing, so obviously there is no need for
heavy chemicals. I seem to recall using soap at some point, which
worked, and I will try the vinegar.

The real issue is that no matter how shiny you get the boards, unless
you coat them with something they will tarnish with time.

Michael VE2BVW

True for most metals. Flux does a good job of removing the inevitable
little bit of tarnish/oxidation.

I did not mention earlier that it is very important to throughly rinse
off any acid, however mild, that you use.

There are ways to plate the copper with other metals less likely to
tarnish or oxidize, such as silver, or even gold in critical
applications.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)
--
At the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA