Old May 8th 05, 12:50 AM
running dogg

€ Dr. Artaud € wrote:

wrote in news:dipp71labgdc83gqvttrq4etkdqaks1i98@
4ax.com:

Sounds like an E-Bay entrepreneur. Doesn't really care which model, just
radios collectively.

Radios, if one can obtain the right models, can indeed yield a healthy
return for your investment. I was given a radio, the receiver side of a
tube HAM set, by an individual at work. I sold it, along with some other
items, to a local business that specializes in e-bay auctioning.

Oh woe is me, as he received, for just the receiver, at least twice as much
as he paid me for the entire lot. That's the way business goes. If I began
e-baying, and had zero sales, I doubt that the buyers would have trusted me
enough to have paid they price that they did. The seller has 1500 or more
sales with a 98% satisfaction rate.

When I was a teenager, I bought a Sony TR-620, a little MW transistor
radio made in about 1961, for 50 cents at a flea market. Six years later
I sold it in an antique radio magazine classified ad for $80. I didn't
do anything special to it, I didn't restore it, I didn't mess with it.
This was long before Ebay, in fact still when few people had the
internet, most people put their phone numbers in their ads and you had
to pay long distance charges to call them. Unfortunately, ever since the
advent of Ebay, great deals like that are increasingly hard to find. I
noted to a friend today that one rarely sees radios, either tube or
transistor, in antique stores nowadays. When I was a teenager in the
early 90s radios were plentiful. I think that most of the tube radios
and probably most of the pre-1963 transistor radios that are out there
have been spoken for. I suppose there's still some baby boomers holding
on to "my first radio", and as they die there will be a wave of 1950s
transistor radios hitting the market, but other than that most of the
radios are stashed away in collections. Finding a 1930s tube radio in
some old forgotten barn somewhere is rare nowadays, IMO. It's about the
same odds as finding an Edsel in that barn, or a Stradivarius violin. In
fact, I saw a website a few years ago that said that the chances of
finding an undiscovered pre WW2 TV set, of either US or UK manufacture,
is about the same as finding an undiscovered Stradivarius violin.

Dr. Artaud

Wanted: General Coverage Receiver AM/SB/USB
Any make or model.
Please leave Model/Price/Phone number to call.
Thanks...Rich