Old November 10th 03, 09:42 AM
Frank Dresser

"Roger Halstead" wrote in message

Look more closely at the area between the tuning dials. It appears to
be a solid rust cover. There are also paint strips at various points
on the chassis which "to me" appear to be covering corrosion.

I took that browish stain to be excess grease. Or maybe some of that
brown paint dripped there. But the rest of the chassis is very clean.
I can't imagine how the rest of it could be so clean, with a rusty area
right under the tuning shaft.

Anyway, if it's really rust, it would clean up pretty easily.

"To me" it looks like something some one cleaned up inside. Remember
that photos can be deceiving, but this one may be for real. It's very
difficult to tell for sure.

It still has the factory inkstamps on the chassis. The plating looks
bright. I'm sure it has been cleaned, but not agressively.

It says it works. The dial cord broke. There is/was rust on the
chassis. Which make me wonder just how easy that tuning cap turns.

It's at least 45 years old. Dial cords break. The dial cord on my
SX-99 broke in exactly the same way. If the new ones last as long as
the old ones, I'll be happy.

As to the finish. It's paint! It's the old "antiquing" paint that
applied with skill might look half way near to OK on an old piece of
furniture, but usually looks like crap even on a board.

That "antique" finish looks like crap everywhere. Paint stripper and
sandpaper takes it off. Cleaning up the silver painted area with the
lettering will take a bit more care, but it can be done. On the plus
side, the radio has correct, unbroken knobs with all of the knob
brights.

Still, the last I saw it was at 30 some dollars and *should* go cheap.
Might make a good parts "hanger queen". Restoration looks like it'd
be a *lot* of work.

Probably less than some of the radios I've done. If somebody enjoys the
process and the end result, it's not alot of work.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

Frank Dresser