Old May 8th 05, 04:00 PM
BDK

In article , =A4NoSuchThing
says...
I'm sure that the subject line of this post is of no surprise to many of=

=20
you, but here I put it in writing. I have a Gateway Laptop computer, a=

=20
very nice one, 15 inch viewable screen, CD/DVD drive, etc. But wait, the=

=20
CD drive is writable. Still no revelation you say? True, but, in my=20
feeble mind, I have pondered a question, for nearly a year I have=20
wondered if the CD drive is merely writable or is it a rewritable drive?
=20
Hmmm, difficult question for me, a real brain I am. Anyway, yesterday the=

=20
quest began anew. I looked at the properties in the Control Panel under=

=20
System, not conclusive. I looked in Multimedia, I used Norton's Utilities=

=20
System Info, etc. Nothing.=20
=20
How was I to solve this dilemma ever plaguing me, I needed to know? Ah, I=

=20
stumbled upon the Gateway site, entered my serial number, they=20
acknowledged that my warranty is good well into 2006, they still know who=

=20
I am. I look under the various items that they offer concerning my=20
computer, ah yes, they have a section on the CD/DVD drive. This certainly=

=20
must yield the answer. I eagerly opened the section concerned, perusing=

=20
the various information that is designed to help the computer illiterate=

=20
gain some information about their machines. Yes yes, they have the=20
answer, I finally, after nearly a year, know exactly what type of drive=

=20
that I have.
=20
The answer was, are you ready for this, to look on the door of the CD=20
tray, written as clear as day, on my computer, it says "CD Rewritable DVD=

=20
ROM Drive". Mind you that the door is on the side of the computer, I=20
guess far be it from me to have actually looked at it.=20
=20
A real brain I am.=20
=20
The day wasn't entirely without merit though. My laptop computer seems=20
like it runs hot. I have elevated the computer using oversize feet. I=20
have used the dust blower sprays available in a can, clearing the fan=20
intake on the bottom of the computer, as well as the discharge slots on=

=20
the rear, yet it never seemed like it was good enough, the fan runs much=

=20
too often. Online sites advocated disassembly of the laptop, so that=20
impacted dust and hairs etc. can be removed from the fan and cooling=20
assemblies. Being that the computer is under warranty, I did not wish to=

=20
damage anything that may invalidate same. Anyway, Gateway has a section=

=20
on the user replacing the keyboard in the laptop. I figured that I could=

=20
gain access to the fan with the keyboard removed. So I indeed removed the=

=20
keyboard, easily accessed the fan, and found a hair ball. I dust sprayed=

=20
the inside, including the heat sink assembly. The processor seems to have=

=20
a flattened copper tube in intimate contact with it, and this tube in=20
turn goes to the heat sink fins (I use these terms loosely), whereupon=20
the air blows across them from the fan. The flattened tube may contain a=

=20
gas/liquid, as the end is finished like a refrigeration sensing bulb=20
would be. Anybody have any insights into these?=20
=20
Dr. Artaud=20
=20

One more thing you might have realized..Have you ever even seen an NON=20
rewritable CD burner?? I haven't. Ever. Even going back to 1X drives..
I guess they might have existed, a long time ago...

Sounds like you have a heat pipe and there probably is liquid in it.=20
There are a lot of aftermarket CPU heat sinks with them.=20

BDK