Old May 9th 05, 12:55 AM
Richard Clark

On Sun, 8 May 2005 15:37:06 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:

The caps are an attempt to limit "peak reverse spikes" (especially across
the fets drain-to-source) but, only if they (the spikes) are any more than a
figment of my imagination (besides, at this point we only wish DC and rf
dumped to ground is a "good thing")... at the most--they do little harm...

Hi Brett,

Little Harm? It has been quite evident that electronics is quite new
to you (contrary to whatever experience you may feel you have
accumulated). Putting a capacitor at the output of a rectifier
doubles the reverse voltage stress that the rectifier has to tolerate.
If you are worried about FETs (like cutting out cholesterol for the
sake of your appendix), then your lacking equal fear for the LEDs'
breakdown is a bit strange.

Anyway, I doubt you have actually worked through the analysis given
all the gauche designs that lead to this. It is presumed that the RF
will be "spike" free (the FCC frowns on such spurious content); or
that if you are simply speaking about HF in general, then it follows
that you could have simply dumped the RF to ground by shorting the
Caps in the first place (no need for the useless FETs either).

I threw the second fet in because I felt guilty about having too few
parts!!! innocent-look-with-fingers-tightly-crossed-behind-the-back

Uh-huh. As I said, Mad Man Muntz would have a field day.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC