Old May 8th 05, 10:45 PM
-exray-

John Smith wrote:

However, the very vocal ones--I am always left wondering if they really are
remarking about filtering their own content--or their wish to filter the
content of others (and, for what purpose would they do this?)... if that
goes on too far (controlling others), yanno, it leads to attempted thought
control-

I don't know you "Mr. Smith" or have any bone to pick with you but I use
filters to avoid what I find as either offensive or provocative.
I invoke enough cat-fights of my own on Usenet and don't need to be
drawn into others. Some posters have a tendency to attract fire, and I
have a weakness to jump in sometimes. I'd really rather just avoid it.
My sanity and blood-pressure will be the better. So, thats why I
filter out the provocateurs if I feel that strongly.

My filters don't prevent anyone from saying what they want to say. But
historically, some posters can be counted upon to say what I'd rather
not have to read and wind up being diverted from the topic or grappling
to bite my tongue, etc. Its easier just to filter them away. Call me
Ostrich-Man. Its my means of finding satisfaction with Usenet.

For my part, feel free to choose to speak. And respect my freedom to
choose whether or not to listen.

-Bill M