Old May 9th 05, 12:26 AM
Jim Hampton

wrote in message
ups.com...
From: bb on May 7, 9:38 pm

K4YZ wrote:
bb wrote:
wrote:

Now, give the rest of us Stebie's definition of
OPERATING...and keep saying that everyone who
doesn't agree with Stebie is a "LIAR." Nobody
should expect otherwise... :-)

What hasn't Steve/K4YZ crapped on?

Steven J Robeson K4YZ K4CAP suffers from excrementia.

K4CAP is not an active callsign, Brian.

Probably never was. Just some Bozo collecting cool callsigns.

LOTS of them. Credentialism. Good substitute for
being able at something...

Why do you conntinue to make such glaring errors?

Typical Robeson Slant and Rant.

I said no such thing. You assume that I said that K4CAP was an active

callsign, or you just lied. I think the latter.

Active or not, it was issued to you, Bozo.

True enough. Note that it HAD to have "CAP" in the callsign.
Very Important for the pudgies in poopy suits.

However, Robeson has NOT stated what he thinks "operating"
is. Tsk, tsk, I will accept what the United States Government
has described, especially the U.S. Army who said I was at
least three different kinds of OPERATOR during my years of
military service. Stebie disagrees with the United States
Government. Tsk, tsk.

It's making
foolish errors that has made you the fool you are today.

Steve, K4YZ

Your misredirection failed miserably. I've just shown you to be the
fool that I say you are.

Poor Stebie, once again with Projection on others what his own
faults are. I don't know why he keeps that up. It doesn't work
and annoys all the readers.

Such misdirection (onto "personal faults" of others) might get him
away from defining what Stebie thinks as "operator" is, but I doubt
he has the courage (or conviction) to state that. Even if he did,
it
would be something about ham radio style "operating." :-) The
United States military communications groups are PROFESSIONAL
in all aspects, not amateur radio hobbyists. shrug

Hello, Len

It just might be what a particular operator is familiar with. Back when (in
the 60s) the military used a lot of HF point to point communications, they
(the radiomen) were familiar with having to change frequencies, how to set
crypto gear, and many other things. One thing they were *not* familiar with
was how to handle a strong signal.

When the communications station attempted to re-establish communications
with Saipan, Hans, K0HB, was sent to Saipan. The communications station
kept telling him he was "loud, but garbled". Big hint - too much signal for
the local oscillator injection to properly demodulate the ssb. I called
Hans from the hamshack (KG6AAY) and we (the hams) ended up not only
establishing communications but got orders to pass traffic from Saipan to
Commander, Naval Forces Marianas directly.

I also recall whilst aboard ship we lost the "broadcast" - multiplex signals
for many channels of teletypes. The problem was that we were getting to
close to the station and we were in a skip zone. I suggested to the chief
that we try LF (low frequency). He didn't think it would work, but said to
give it a try as everything else was out. On LF, the signal was
overpowering. In a few minutes, the broadcast was back up and running.

In both of these instances, it was the hams that had the proper experience.

I shan't go much further than to say that one day whilst aboard ship, we
received an SOS on 500 KHz. It turns out that only *two* of us could
actually copy Morse at any reasonable speed. I don't know about the other
guy, but I was an amateur extra and also had a commercial telegraph license.
The military radioman were *supposed* to be able to copy 16 words per minute
to graduate from A school.

Sorry to shoot your "professional" theory down. You aren't totally wrong,
of course; it is what happens when the *unexpected* happens.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA