Old May 9th 05, 09:27 PM
K4YZ

So...an anecdote from USN days...(SNIP)

Nothing about Amateur radio there.

Two things, perhaps three, come to mind here.

None of them about Amateur radio, I bet.

First of all, the HF military receivers of the 60s era...(SNIP)

Yep...I was right.

Secondly, a transmitter could have been deliberately
mistuned (without damage to itself) to reduce the
signal power output. Non-standard, but that would have
been a possibility...such as toss a wire out the window
(porthole?) and tune that up.

About radios...getting closer...

Third, how did YOU "know" the garble WAS "intermodulation
distortion" if you didn't have any way of determining
the incoming signal strength? I'm familiar with the
characteristics of U.S. military receivers of the 60s...(SNIP)

...and very little else...

I also recall whilst aboard ship we lost the "broadcast" - multiplex

signals
for many channels of teletypes.

Sounds like the common "commercial format" SSB that's
been around since the 30s...12 KHz wide modulation
spectrum, the outer 6 KHz carrying 4 to 12 TTY tone
pairs. One needs the Converters (outboard) to
separate them and all the Converters I've seen all
have separate level-setting controls...as do the
"carrier" equipments that separate out the individual
TTY signals.

Whoa...got through a whole paragraph without using the words "..in
the 1960's"...way to go Lennie! Think ya can make it to, say, 1973
anytime soon...?!?!

What are you saying there? Are you saying that LF
is "immune" from IM effects? [ain't so...]

The USN was running 12 KHz SSB on LF? Capable of it?
Doesn't sound likely. Please explain.

In both of these instances, it was the hams that had the proper

experience.

"Proper?"

Your tale, oriented for the "lets all give each other high-
fives as hams for saving the world again" crowd in here is
a nice story. But, without some revealing details, it seems
little more than a STORY.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh...back to dissing anyone ELSE'S "story" as being
just that...a story...Now you'll give us YOUR version of a "true
story".

In that same era, in the USA, it was not uncommon
to have Field Radio AN/GRC-26 huts-and-trucks at
sites as close as 15 miles. They never had any
reported "overload to the point of garble" on their
single-channel TTY with AM voice communications
locally. "Angry-twenty-six" was typically 400 W
(CW) output carrying dipole and half-rhombic wire
antennas, using either R-388 or R-390 receivers.

Dang I'm good!

Could it be - gasp, choke - that the Army guys
were "better" at communications than you sailors?

...and even managed to throw in a "diss" to give it some polish!

There ya go! Another tale of "hams make the world
safe and show the pros how to do it via CW."

...and a "diss" for Amateur Radio.

Ho hum.

You got that right.

Why is it that the ENTIRE maritime world of radio
REJECTED morse code messaging for distress and
safety in favor of GMDSS? Tsk. I've heard all the
tales of "GMDSS won't work!" from all the retired
navy morsemen...but GMDSS continues to work...with
the approval of the maritime community. Tsk.

Here we go with the "jump off the cliff" mode of why Amateur radio
should be like Maritime or Armed Forces communications.

Field Radio MOSs in the Army of the 60s era ALSO
had to demonstrate morsemanship. Ho hum. The
Army field commanders insisted on using TTY
messaging just the same. There's NO need to
demonstrate morsemanship in ANY branches' radio
communications specialties today. NONE.

This forum is about A M A T E U R R A D I O....

Wishe we could get that across to ya, Lennie...

Sorry to shoot your "professional" theory down.

Just WHO were you aiming at? Wasn't me. I wasn't
hit by any "fire."

Guess that solidifies my opinion on your "professionalism"....

Your airborne "spotter" must have been that TN CAP
ace, Stebie Robeson, former "ANCOIC" of Okinawa
MARS and PR Field Agent for ARRL recruiting.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...THERE it is!

HE should have his wings clipped.

Not by a gutless punk like you, Lennie...At least I got the wings!
Still got your "student pilot certificate" locked away with that GROL
that you alleged expired...?!?!

You aren't totally wrong,
of course; it is what happens when the *unexpected* happens.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Us ex-Army types just never had
"emergencies" or "weren't as good as hams?"

Gee...All the other branches have "emergencies"...Maybe your LACK
of "emergencies" was due to a lack of proximity to any danger...?!?!

Best you hike on down to the nearest office of
BuShips or whatever and inform THEM that they
are "all wrong" or even "partly wrong" and
re-insitute all that morsemanship training (to
keep the world safe through use of Sam's wonderful
code). Think of it as a "holy mission."

Peace be unto you. Amen.

Diss, diss, and more diss.

Steve, K4YZ