Old May 9th 05, 08:44 PM
Bill Crocker

"krackula" wrote in message
hey Bill .......

[clipped]
I agree whole heartedly . Interestingly , in my town, here in
central California ( where ' everything " police is in the clear
and on standard nbfm ) , " all " sensitive information of the type
you speak , is " always " transmitted onto the laptop wi-fi MDT
type computers in each police car. actually " most " information is
transmitted that way and listening to the basic calls mostly provides
little interesting detailed information anymore. recently all the
local police agencies have installed police wi-fi bubble " out of
the car " blue tooth style personal PDAs so that the cops , even
on bicycles or on their dirt bikes , have the same abilities as the
wi-fi MDT inside the cars. the local police wi-fi mdt bubble is always
encrypted.

it's odd and at the same time interesting to hear the dispatch and
cars making calls and referring to items on the " dispatch " screen
, that instead of actually mentioning any details out loud. a quirky
but effective method to keep privacy.

[clipped]

They do that here also, when using the older 150/450MHz analog systems, as
well as non-digital 850MHz trunked systems.

Bill Crocker