Old May 9th 05, 11:32 PM

K4YZ wrote:
wrote:
Dee Flint wrote:

Extras 38,852
Advanced 39,430
General 25,245
Tech Plus 22,634
Tech 24,021
Novice 2,627

Total members = 152,809

Total Techs = 46,655 or ~30% of the ARRL membership are Techs vs.

~50%
of all licensees. There's a shortfall of Techs within the

membership
but certainly not any sort of "yawning gap" in the representation

of
Techs at the ARRL (or vice versa) as Hans has implied.

If we throw out those Novices, which aren't any appreciable

number,
then the percentages look like this:

Extras: 25.52%

Advanced: 25.91%

General: 16.25%

Techs: 30.65%

...or leave the Novices in...it only changes the percentages by
1/10th or thereabouts of a percent...

Nonetheless...The Techs DO comprise a significant membership

base
in the ARRL...Enough to be a significant voting block if they wanted
to.

So why don't they?

Why should they? Do the Techs have some big problem with the League
which went over my head?

Lennie and Brain contend that they are somehow a repressed

subset
of the membership,

Those two "contend" a lotta things which are bass ackward and/or
off-the-wall. They're your turf, enjoy, I can't be bothered.

yet there's not a single impediment to ANY person
with ANY specific interest in ARRL policies or programs from pushing
for changes in those programs and policies if they so choose.

If anything, we should be asking why are the Generals so
inequitably represented in the ARRL membership.

Fixing that gross inequity will involve the creation of yet another
department at HQ based on the next PBI which we haven't seen yet.

The ARRL is, afterall, a membership organization. If in this day
and age there's not been some major effort to organize a major change
to the ARRL's policies and programs, then apparently they ARE
representing the opinions of their demographic fairly evenly.

AMEN, that's the whole point and the only point which actually matters
in the context of this thread.

If there was such a disaffection for the ARRL, where's the
"alter-ARRL"...?!?!

Been tried several times and they all died almost on the spot.

73

Steve, K4YZ

w3rv